The National Council of Somaliland National Youth Organization (SONYO Umbrella), the premier youth umbrella organization working to empower the youth in Somaliland have concluded their 27th ordinary session with seven point declaration.
In a press release with the “Ref. No. SONYO/027/NC6/14”, issued by the chairperson of SONYO Umbrella Mr. Mubarak Ismail Taani following the conclusion of the two day meeting reads as following:
The National Council of Somaliland National Youth Organization (SONYO Umbrella) has concluded their 27th ordinary meeting which begun Feb 28th– March 1, 2014 at Scandinavian Hotel in Hargeisa. During the two day meeting, the National Council discussed a wide range of issues affecting the youth today such as; the economic enablement of the youth and identification of the needs and priorities which are vital in mobilizing young people in Somaliland in order to engage with development issues. The National Council also underlined the role of Somaliland National Youth Organization (SONYO Umbrella), in mobilizing and empowering young people in Somaliland.
The Seven point declarations of the 27th ordinary meeting are as follows:
1. The National Council commends Somaliland President Ahmed Mohamed Mohamoud “Silanyo” for the establishment of National Youth Development Fund which will be an essential part for the implementation of Somaliland National Youth Policy. The National Council deems the establishment of the National Youth Development Fund as a right step towards the right direction in combating with youth unemployment and illegal immigration. Somaliland National Youth Organization (SONYO Umbrella) which took lion’s share for the establishment of the National Youth Development Fund is ready for the implementation of the Youth Development Fund which the umbrella considers an essential key for job creation for young people, sports development and the fight against illegal immigration. The Youth Development Fund will be managed by a council consisting of representatives from SONYO Umbrella, the Ministries involved in youth development, civil society members, representatives of Somaliland businesses, religious scholars and scholars selected from the community.
Somaliland’s Minister of Youth, Sports and Tourism (Pictured in the center) with the National Council members of SONYO Umbrella following the conclusion of their 27th extraordinary meeting in Scandinavian Hotel in Hargeisa. Photo by SONYO Media.
2. We are very pleased that Somaliland National Youth Organization (SONYO Umbrella) became the premier youth umbrella committed to accomplish the goals set in the umbrella’s 5 year plan and National Youth Policy which carries tangible programs which will uplift the socio-economic conditions of Somaliland youth.
3. The National Council welcomes the one million U.S Dollar money provided by international donors who support Somaliland to address the different needs of Somaliland Youth following a joint appeal by Somaliland government and SONYO Umbrella. As a member of Somaliland Development Fund (SDF) management Committee, the Umbrella extends its sincere thanks to the other government members of the SDF management committee for their support during the Umbrella’s campaign that made possible for the allotment of funds. We recommend that the fund should be used in youth development programs such as; job creation programs, building new sports stadiums and the rehabilitation and decoration of the existing stadiums.
4. The national council sends congratulations and compliments to the members of Somaliland’s upper House of Parliament (House of Elders) for their work of mediation that resolved the wrangles of the House of Representatives. The National Council also praised the members of the House of Representatives for accepting the recommendations of the House of Elders mediation committee.
5. The National Council calls for all members of the country’s local councils to be aware of their responsibility. We call for the elected members of the local councils that Somaliland youth who gave them their vote during the local council elections are observing and evaluating their responsibilities and actions. We also call for the conflicting local councilors to resolve their disputes as soon as possible, and the Umbrella is ready for any technical assistance needed.
6. Based on the need of a platform in which Somaliland youth address their issues and what future holds for their country, we propose to hold a national youth summit, the first of its kind in the country. Therefore, Somaliland National Youth Organization (SONYO Umbrella) and the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Tourism declare together that Somaliland Youth Summit will be held from 11 to 12 August 2014. In the summit, Somaliland youth will discuss the current and future issues affecting Somaliland youth. The outcome of the summit will be a formal resolution with a tangible recommendations and priorities of the current situation of Somaliland youth. The summit will be held annually and coincides with World Youth. As a result of this coincidence, the resolution of the summit will add an extra voice to the other resolutions that will be issued from youth summits around the world. The National Council calls for all stakeholders of youth related affairs in the country to partake the forthcoming Somaliland Youth Summit.
7. Finally, we call on all citizens, businessmen, Somaliland government, National political parties, members of the two Houses of Parliament, elected local councilors and Somaliland public to participate in the contributions to the construction of Somaliland National Youth Organization – SONYO Umbrella headquarter in which construction work already started after President Silanyo laid the foundation stone. Upon completion, the National Youth Building will be a center for fostering intellectual competencies of Somaliland youth and a discussion forum in which Somaliland youth exchange their views and advice.
Mubarak Ismail Taani,
Chairperson of SONYO Umbrella,