SOMALILAND JOURNALIST ASSOCATION
Behind Ex-UNICEF Office, Shacab Area Tel: 532206/4000277/4429514/4421558
Somaliland Journalist Association SOLJA will be REMIND to those who Editors, Reporters, Civil Society, Human right organizations, UN/INGO’s, Government Officials and any other stakeholders of press freedom in Somaliland a WORLD PRESS FREEDOM DAY 3 MAY 2014.
We are Pleased to inform you as a Somaliland Journalist Association SOLJA Every year, May 3rd is a date which celebrates the fundamental principles of press freedom; to evaluate press freedom around the world, to defend the media from attacks on their independence and to pay tribute to journalists who have lost their lives in the exercise of their profession.
World Press Freedom Day in 2014 focuses on three inter-related themes: media’s importance in development; safety of journalists and the rule of law; and the sustainability and integrity of journalism.
3 May was proclaimed World Press Freedom Day the UN General Assembly in 1993 following a Recommendation adopted at the twenty-sixth session of UNESCO’s General Conference in 1991.
It serves as an occasion to inform citizens of violations of press freedom – a reminder that in dozens of countries around the world, publications are censored, fined, suspended and closed down, while journalists, editors and publishers are harassed, attacked, detained and even murdered.
It is a date to encourage and develop initiatives in favor of press freedom, and to assess the state of press freedom worldwide.
It serves as a reminder to governments of the need to respect their commitment to press freedom and is also a day of reflection among media professionals about issues of press freedom and professional ethics. Just as importantly, World Press Freedom Day is a day of support for media which are targets for the restraint, or abolition, of press freedom. It is also a day of remembrance for those journalists who lost their lives in the exercise of their profession.
· Sensitize Member State on the importance of freedom of expression and the dangers that impunity for crimes against media professionals represents for freedom and democracy;
· Sensitize journalists, media owners and policy-makers on existing international instruments and conventions, as well as various existing practical guides on the safety of journalists;
· Sensitize news organizations, media owners, editors and journalists on the dangers confronting their staff, particularly those faced by local journalists;
· Encourage journalism education institutions in developing curricula, which include material relevant to the safety of journalists and impunity;
· Disseminate best practices on the safety of journalists and counteracting impunity.
In summary, World Press Freedom Day 2014 examines the interrelated issues of the role of media in development, the correlative of the need for the safety of journalists, and matters related to the development of journalism itself.
Please mark your calendars now, Also we encourage to your participation confirmation to us, suggestions and your comments.
Feel free to call event organizer Feisal Omar madder 063 4413361 or send an email if you have questions.
MAHMED CABDI GULED